Wanna know something awesome?! It was 82 degrees yesterday. I repeat, EIGHTY TWO DEGREES. As you can probably imagine I was absolutely thrilled about it. The weather was gorgeous all week long and you better believe I’ve been soaking up every minute of it. Even our evenings have been especially dreamy lately and we’ve been spending as much time outside as possible. Everything is blooming, the grass is green, and it feels like full blown summer. I am loooooooving it. And to make things better we are headed into one of my favorite weekends of the entire year–it’s my son’s birthday AND Mother’s Day weekend. We have so many fun things planned and I cannot wait to celebrate it all. But first, let’s chat about some random things for Friday Favorites, ok? I have a couple of goodies to share, as well as some other tidbits from the week!
My New Vintage Fan
I mentioned that we made a trip down to visit my parent’s last weekend and I was lucky enough to find this amazing typewriter during our visit. Well I didn’t mention that I also scored the cutest black vintage fan! My aunt and uncle actually found it for me at a yard sale for ten bucks, which makes this the find of the CENTURY.
I still can’t believe they found this for $10. It was covered in dust, but otherwise in great condition. I just cleaned it up, cut off the cord (those just get in the way when you’re using a fan like this for decor only) and BOOM. Gorgeous vintage fan for a bargain price. I’ve been really wanting a black one like this with the wavy cage, so this is perfecto.
My Wannabe Garden
This week I’ve spent a lot of time out in our garden, mostly pulling weeds and trying to figure out what in the heck to do with this space. This will be our third summer here and I’m ashamed to say we’ve never really done much back here. BUT in my defense I blame it all on the deer. Last summer I planted a few small things and those annoying deer came along and ate it ALL. I even put wire around it and they still managed to get under that. The deer here are EXCESSIVE. They eat everything.
The only way to make this work as a functioning garden is to build it up like Fort Knox in order to protect it from all the deer. I’m really, really hoping we can do something in here this summer, but I’m not sure what to do. Let me know if you have any tips on keeping those pesky deer away.
In addition to our wannabe garden, we have four large lilac shrubs in our backyard and they are in full bloom this week! I wish you could come over because the entire yard smells like heaven. Of course I had to snip a few and bring them inside!
How to Keep Cut Lilacs from Wilting
I found a fabulous new account on Instagram that is a must-follow if you’re a fan of flowers. She recently did a post about how to keep lilacs from wilting so fast and she recommended picking them in the coolest part of the day (either morning or evening), removing nearly all the foliage, splitting the stems and placing them in cool water. She also recommended changing out the water daily and keeping them out of direct sun. I followed all of her tips when I cut these yesterday and I’m hoping they’ll last at least a few days!
Favorite Sunless Tanner
Now that it’s getting warmer out I’ve been using my favorite sunless tanner to cover up my pasty white legs. I’ve loved this stuff for years and it’s defitnely the best I’ve tried. I apply it with a tanning mitt and the color usually lasts about a week.
Other tidbits from the week:
- A few days ago I spotted this weekender bag at Target and fell in love instantly. So darn cute for weekend getaways this summer or even a day at the pool!
- We just ordered a new cordless vacuum for all the rugs in our kitchen and it’s changed our lives. Ok, that might be a little dramatic but it’s super handy, lightweight and easy to use to clean up all the crumbs that accumulate under our table.
- If you’re looking for a last minute Mother’s Day gift idea I highly recommend giving a subscription to The Magnolia Journal. I’ve raved about this magazine before, but it’s seriously THE BEST. It has recipes, decor and tips on simple, intentional living. It’s the most well-rounded magazine and it makes an amazing gift! I just renewed my subscription this week actually.
- Last year I put together a big roundup of farmhouse style outdoor decor inspiration. I also did several shopping guides for patio sets, fire pits, outdoor swings, etc. It’s a huge post, so be sure to check it out if you need a little help with your outdoor spaces.
- I noticed Target is doing a huge online only sale for their outdoor furniture and decor. The sale ends Saturday, so you’ll have to shop quick if you’re interested in anything. There’s a ton of great stuff marked way down, but here are a few of my favorites:
Well that’s it for me today my friends. I hope you all have a wonderful Mother’s Day weekend and I’ll see you back here soon! xo
Wait, don’t rush off! Here’s a few other post you will probably love: