One thing I’ve talked about a lot lately over on Instagram is my early morning routine. You guys, I’ve been getting up at 5:30 for about a month now and it’s honestly been SO good for me. It’s something I’ve done a lot in the past, but since little Ava Pearl came along I didn’t make it a priority because I was just too tired. But I finally got back into into it and I’m so glad I did. And to be honest, I actually noticed a huge change in my overall attitude when I started getting up early again. I feel happier and more productive when I get to do my morning routine. And much more in control of my life. I know that probably sounds weird, but I usually have SO much going on with three kids, the blog, emails, and just life in general that sometimes I feel like everything is whizzing by and I’m barely keeping up. So getting up early and making that time as productive as possible really helps me feel more in control and on top of what I need to be doing. Does that make sense? I hope so. Anyway, I’ve had a LOT of questions over on Instagram about my morning routine and how I actually make myself get up, so today I thought I’d share all of that with you!
My Morning Routine:
Every weekday morning I set my alarm for 5:30. Once I’m up I quickly wash my face, brush my teeth and head downstairs. The very first thing I do is take my probiotics and drink a full glass of water. (I’ve used these probiotics for a while now and I love them.) Then I pour myself a cup of coffee and grab a few oils to get my diffuser going. I usually reach for oils that perk me up and energize me to start the day. I love Citrus Fresh, Joy, Peppermint, Valor, or Lemon in the morning. Lately my favorite morning combo is Joy + Peppermint.
Once I have coffee and get my diffuser going I usually spend a few minutes reading my devotional–I love the First 5 App. Then I say a prayer for the day and get to work. I like to make a list each morning of the things I need to get done for that particular day. It could be emails I need to follow up with or other tasks that need to be completed for the blog, but actually writing those things down helps me tremendously. I LOVE using a paper planner and this is the one I’ve been using for years now. It helps so much to keep my scrambled mom brains organized! And I gotta say, being able to physically check tasks off my to-do list makes me SO happy.
I work until about 7:00am, which is when my son usually comes down to start the day. Although sometimes I do get an early riser, which throws a wrench in the whole thing (I’ll talk about how I handle that in a bit). Most days I typically wait to get ready for the day until after the kiddos are awake, but it just depends on how much time I have each morning. I usually like to stay focused on whatever work I’m doing while the house is quiet, then I can get ready once the kids are awake. I have a pretty simple 15 minute makeup routine, so that’s usually a quick process.
MY BEST TIPS TO GET UP EARLY:
- Go to bed early. This is obvious, but it’s so important if you want to get up early. I’m honestly not the best at getting in bed early, but when I actually do I feel SO much better the next day and much more able to get up when that alarm goes off. Plus if you get up early you’ll be ready for bed earlier! It’s science.
- Think about your WHY. It always helps me to think about why I want to get up early in the first place. What are you gaining by getting up early? Make it about YOU. And what you truly enjoy doing in that morning alone time. Maybe it’s working out. Or journaling. Or if you’re a work at home mama like me, maybe it’s your only time to actually work with no interruptions. Either way, focusing on your why and what you are gaining is going to make it a lot easier to get up and do it.
- Put your phone/alarm in another room. This seems like a small thing, I know, but it does help to actually get you up and on your feet when that alarm goes off in another room. And once you’re vertical, half the work is done!
- Set your coffee pot timer. OK, I know this is another simple thing, but it makes such a HUGE difference for me. You guys know I love my coffee, so when I know it’s already brewed and ready to go, that makes me excited to get up so I can enjoy the deliciousness that is my coffee. It’s addiction.
- Tip for those of you with kids: All of this quiet-time-bliss completely hinges on my three kiddos sleeping until a reasonable hour, which obviously doesn’t always happen. There is usually at least one or two days a week that someone wakes up by 6:15. My son in particular has always been a very early riser, so he’s usually up not long after me each morning. But as he’s gotten older I’ve taught him that if he wants to wake up early he needs to stay in his room and look at books, color, or play quietly until 7:00am. Some days are better than others, but for the most part he loves his quiet early time too.
- BONUS TIP: If you need some extra help waking up, I’d check out this natural sunrise alarm clock. I haven’t personally used one, but I’ve heard they are AMAZING. And I think this kind of alarm clock would be perfect in the winter when it’s still dark in the early morning.
Well that’s it guys! A little recap of my early morning routine and a few tips to help you get up early if you’re into that kind of thing. I’m obviously not an expert, but whenever I get to do my morning routine I feel so much better throughout the day. I’m happier, more patient with the kids, more productive, and just a better version of myself all around. Who knew waking up a couple hours early could be so awesome?!
Here’s a few other similar posts you might want to wander over to: