Helllllo you fabulous people. Today I am sharing a very easy tutorial for a DIY farmhouse style home sign I made for our basement. I’ve pretty much neglected the basement since we moved in about 6 months ago, but I’m finally starting to give it some attention and TLC. This HOME sign was a great start. It’s simple, affordable, and full of vintage charm. All good things!
- Wooden Letters
- Black Spray Paint
- Salvaged Wood
- Shellac finishing spray
- Nails, hammer, and metal punch
I looked everywhere for the perfect letters. I really wanted thick wooden letters that weren’t too big. And I wanted a nice straight letter, nothing curvy or rounded. I was surprised to find these at Target for only $3.99 each. I had no idea Target sold letters, but these are exactly what I was wanted. Score!
I went with black spray paint, but you could easily do any color of your choice. Just lay your letters out on a piece of cardboard and give them a good layer of two.
For the wooden pallet, we actually had these two pieces of salvaged wood sitting in our garage. They were different lengths, but I actually liked that so we left them uneven. I think it adds to the whole rustic look. And since this wood is covered in chippy white paint (which I loooove) we sprayed a layer of clear Zinsser Shellac Finishing Spray just to coat everything and give it a nice shiny finish. This basically keeps the paint from chipping any further and finishes it off nicely.
I wanted it to be a wider sign, so we simply put two pieces together and secured them in the back with a thin piece of underlayment I had left over from doing planked walls in the breakfast nook. Easy!
After my letters dried I took a piece of sandpaper and just sanded down the edges to give them a little more personality. I focused mostly on the corners and outer lines. I left the face of the letters alone. This is totally optional and you can do as much or as little sanding as you like.
Next we simply nailed each letter to the wooden pallet. If you look closely you’ll notice we didn’t hammer the nails all the way in, just so we wouldn’t leave any markings on the letters. Instead my husband went back through with a metal punch and hammered the nails on down so they were nice and even.
Lastly I went in with a black sharpie and covered up the head of each nail. Again, this is optional, but I didn’t want the nails showing and this trick worked nicely!
Done! Super easy and quick. And the best part is it only cost me $12.
Thanks for stopping by!